Dentures are aesthetic replacements for missing teeth, usually almost similar to the color of your natural teeth that can be taken out and put back in your mouth anytime. Needless to say, it is one of the most economic and practical solutions for missing teeth. As compared to dental implants, dentures are cheaper and much more available to many dental clinics.
However, just like normal teeth, your dentures also need proper care in order to maintain not just the quality of the dentures but also the health of your mouth.
To help you out, here are some useful tips on taking care of your dentures:
- When handling your denture, make sure that you are standing over a folded towel or a sink full of water to make sure it will not break in case it drops.
- Clean your denture thoroughly with a soft-bristled brush but without toothpaste. The substance in the toothpaste can be abrasive and create microscopic scratches where food stains may build up causing plaque.
- Always make it a point that you rinse your denture every after eating your meals.
- Make use of a denture cleaner, a hand soap or a mild dish washing liquid to clean your dentures. Using bleach is not advised as it may whiten the pinkish portion of your denture, thus, wear down its strength. Ultrasonic cleaners are bathtub-like devices that contain cleaning solutions for your dentures.
- Remember the proper way of keeping your dentures if you will not wear it. It has to be kept moist when not being worn so it will not dry out or lose its shape. Place your dentures in a cleanser soaking solution or in water. But, if your dentures have some metal on it, it’s better to consult your dentist on the proper ways of storing it when not worn.
In addition, don’t forget that complete dentures can be used for 5 to 7 years only. Replacements can be done upon reaching this span of time wearing the denture you have.
Furthermore, wearing dentures also requires proper care for your mouth and gums. Brushing your teeth regularly is always a must and rinsing your mouth with lukewarm salted water is ideal to ensure the cleanliness of your mouth.
Need some repair or a replacement for your current denture? Consult Dr. Rowena Marzo of Marzo Dental Clinic now for better results! Her clinic specializes in various dental services including Orthodontics and Dental Implantology. Book a consultation now and see dental excellence at its finest!